More than anything else, headlines determine whether or not readers will click through and read your content. This is true whether your content is a blog post, a static web page, a social media page, paid advertising, or something else. It doesn’t matter what format your content takes, the headline is one of the most important elements on the page.
A good headline does several things well.
- For starters, it grabs readers’ attention. It’s got to be enticing enough to compete against other headlines, moving images, and shiny objects.
- A good headline also promises a benefit. Tell your readers why they should click the link and read your content.
- It contains an emotional trigger tied to the benefit. The best headlines make the reader click because they have a vested interest.
- Another thing a headline should do is create an incentive to share. You want your reader to read your content, but you also want them to share it. Your headline will play an important part in that.
- It should also be straightforward and honest. It should tell the reader precisely what your content is about without being misleading.
Hopefully, you see the importance of writing good headlines. If you don’t, you may not get many readers. It’s one of the most important elements on any web page.