A few days ago Google announced quite a few new improvements to Google+. Most of them have to do with Android, Hangouts, and Events.
Here’s a quick run down:
- On-the-go profile editing
- Easier content authoring for mobile phones
- Mobile notifications
- Increased Community involvement via mobile phones and tablets
- Full-size backups for your photos
- 360-degree photo panoramas
- Inline photo swiping with iOS
- Pan-zoom-scale effect through an iPhone app
- Specific-guest messaging for Events
- The ability to see who has opened your Event invitations
- Low-bandwidth capability to interact through Hangouts
- Easier duplication of events
- Video feed expansion for single-participant Hangouts
- Conversation cards for iOS with expanded features
- Animated GIFs, screen lock widget, and Google Now birthday reminders for the Android
- and Google Play and App Store mobile apps
From a mobile user perspective, these improvements will ensure a better experience with Google+ all around. From a marketing perspective, it makes for an easier way to connect with your audience through Google+ via mobile. That’s whether you are using mobile, your audience are on mobile, or both.
Google seems committed to maintaining Google+ and improving it for the long term. I expect that to get a lot better over time. The new Communities feature is being used widely and a lot of people (and companies) are getting a lot of mileage out the new features. You can too.